Sunday, July 29, 2012

Basement build update - insulation and wall studs

Well let's just say little Macie aka the Macinator is army crawling around like a maniac lately.  This is not at all conducive to finishing a basement.  Anytime Kim is around I try to get down to the basement to keep working.  I was probably able to work about 15 hours during the last week.  I think I made some good progress:

Insulation.  I ended up going with 1" rigid foam insulation.  The R value is 6.5.  I bought 4'x8' sheets of the insulation at Home Depot.  The sheets are easy to cut using a utility knife and a straight edge.  I began adhering the insulation to the block wall with construction adhesive but stopped using it since the studs would eventually holding the sheets in place.  After all the sheets were in place I taped the seems with tyvek tape.

Here are some pictures of the insulation:


















 Stud installation:

I ended up going with metal studs for a few reasons.  They are lighter to lug around, easier to cut, and cleaner to cut in the basement than wood.  I ended up getting the studs into the basement through the egress window.  Too bad its not big enough to get dry wall through.  I am using 2-1/2" studs and tracks for the exterior walls and 3-5/8" studs and tracks for the interior walls (all 25 gauge steel).  To attach the track to the concrete floor I used a hammer drill and 1/4" x 1-1/4" tapcons.  To attach the studs to the track I used #8 x 1/2" metal screws.  


Here are some pictures of the exterior wall progress:









One thing Macie does like to do is go to Home Depot and Lowes.  This week we were able to buy the toilet, vanity, faucet, and mirror for the bathroom.  During the next week I hope to complete the walls with the exception of the bathroom walls.  The bathroom walls will have to wait until I break up the concrete and install the rough plumbing.  Fun Stuff.  Thanks for reading.


1 comment:

  1. Wall insulation Bethlehem PAwhat a nice collection. It's really good. I like it. Here is another information place. Please visit here and get some good information.

    ReplyDelete