Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Why not paint the Oak trim white!

From the first time I set foot into our house I knew it would look much better with white trim instead of the 90's golden oak originally installed in the house.  Here are a few pics of the original oak trim:

Bay window

Chair rail:
My wife was really against painting the oak.  It took me about 6 months of bugging her with pictures of how nice white trim looks.  I would email her pictures of beautiful homes with modern white trim.  We also went to the Columbus parade of homes in June.  Most of these custom new homes had white trim.  When I first started seriously researching the best way to start the transformation I looked at pictures from blogs.  I had trouble finding many posts focusing on changing oak to white.  That's one reason I figured I would document my renovation.  The first room I started painting was the living room.  Originally this room had 3" tall oakbase.  I always liked the look of taller trim so I ripped the original out and went with 4-1/4" primed pine trim from Home Depot.  It ran about $2 a linear foot.  This primed trim only needed one coat of white paint before installation.  The process I ended up utilizing was a combination of instructions I found on the internet:

Step 1: Wash existing trim with wet rag. 
2: Tape areas that need protected.
3: Lighly sand with 150 grit paper just to scuff the trim.
4: Wipe sanded trim with wet rag again. (I used a shop vac to clean up areas where excess dust appeared)
5: Apply 1 coat of white primer/sealer.
6: Caulk any areas that have imperfections or nail holes.
7: Apply 2 to 3 coats of white paint.

Here are some pictures of the living room and eat in kitchen area before:


dining room before:


after pictures:












2 comments:

  1. It is just the opposite here where my husband doesn't want to paint the oak trim and I do. What white paint did you use? What did you do with the doors. Did you paint doors, replace doors, or did nothing?

    The trim looks terrific. Our oak is a red oak which I really dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this looks great. we are going to tackle this and I need some advice! What are your tips and tricks!?

    ReplyDelete