Sunday, January 6, 2013

Basement Build: Rough in electric/plumbing


I was lucky enough to have my friends dad who is a retired electrician volunteer to install some new circuits for the basement.  We added lighting and power for the bathroom fan and power receptacles for the bathroom, play room, and bedroom/living room.  A total of 14 receptacles, 3 light switches, and one dimmer switch was installed.  During the first dad we worked on the electrical portion of the job we were able to install the rough in boxes and wire.  We used the new construction plastic boxes from Home Depot.  They were very easy to install on the metal studs.  Here are some pictures of the installed boxes and wire:



During another busy weekend I was able to rough-in all the water lines and drain/vent lines.  I used pex 1/2" piping and sharkbite fittings for the waterlines.  I couldn't believe how easy the sharkbite fittings were to work with.  To connect to the existing copper water lines I used a 3/4" sharkbite tee which then connected to a copper sharkbite manifold which had 3 1/2" outlets.  The 1/2" pex lines connected to the manifold outlets.  In total I had 3 cold water lines - one for the toilet, shower, and sink.  I installed two hot water lines - one for the shower and sink.  We did consider a wet bar in the basement but ended up not installing one.  Here are some pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment